Accessibility statement for Shobdon Parish council website (www.shobdonparishcouncil.co.uk)
This accessibility statement applies to the website of Shobdon Parish Council: www.shobdonparishcouncil.co.uk
This website is run by Shobdon Parish Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
• zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
• navigate much of the website using just a keyboard
• navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
• listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is:
We know parts of the website are not fully accessible:
• the text will not reflow in a single column when you change the size of the browser window
• you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
• most PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
• you cannot skip to the main content when using a screen reader
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format please contact Emma Lewis, Clerk to Shobdon Parish Council, [email protected], 01568 708694. We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 20 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact the Parish Clerk – [email protected], 01568 708694.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Shobdon Parish Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is not compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard. The non-compliances are listed below.
i) Non accessible content
Some pages may contain attachments which are not currently compliant, such as:
• PDF files such as Meeting Minutes and agendas
• There’s no way to skip the repeated content in the page header (for example, a ‘skip to main content’ option).
• Content produced by third parties or using third party software.
ii) Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
We will do all we can to identify content that is non-compliant.
• Images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). We plan to add text alternatives for all images on the new website.
iii) Disproportionate burden
We’ve assessed the cost of fixing the issues with navigation and accessing information, and with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so on the existing website would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations, when the Parish Council has commissioned a new website that will be complaint with the regulations.
iv) Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
• Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2
• The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to fix meeting agendas or minutes for meetings which were published prior to 23 September 2018.
• Any new PDFs or Word documents created by us will meet accessibility standards.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
The Parish Council commissioned a new website which went live in March 2021 and will be looking for feedback on the new site to improve accessibility.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 22nd March 2021. It was last reviewed on 22nd March 2021.
This website was last tested on 22nd March 2021. The test was carried out by Aubergine.