Historically, Shobdon developed as an estate village in the early 18th century, attached to Shobdon Court, the house of Sir James Bateman. Shobdon Church, originally built during the Norman period, was demolished and rebuilt in its current form in around 1750 although its tower was retained. Twentieth century housing development straddling the B4362 has extended the historical village westwards, with development at Moor Meadow, The Grove, the Birches and Bateman Close. Shobdon Court is surrounded by a substantial area of parkland within which can be found the 12th century Shobdon Arches relocated in the 18th century to their current position at the end of a tree lined avenue.